PDA

View Full Version : Malibu factory tour video

dru1974
02-11-2010, 04:42 PM
As per the last video thread. at the waterskimag.com site there is a great video that malibu put together and I think that it would be a fantastic thing for skiers choice to do as they have great quality to there boats aswell as inovations and quality control in their facility that people should be aware of.
lets go skiers choice!!!!!!!!!

phospher
02-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks Dru. I agree. I would love to see Moomba videos showing their construction process somewhat like Malibu and Sanger have done.

Birdman_08_LSV
02-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Those kinds of videos are nice, but then you get into the money issue. Making videos like that cost money. That it turn drives the cost of the product up. This site tells enough to get people into a dealership, and that’s the name of the game.

dru1974
02-11-2010, 05:20 PM
this is a very informative fun site but what percentage of people will come to the forum to read everything, yes they do have a few old photo's of production but every other good sized boat buolder has video's on there site or even on youtube. the costs for one tour would be peanuts. you could hire a student and do it, and well I would imagine, dont get me wrong I loved my supra and know I will be very happy for a long time with my new boat. But a video would be very nice.

Razzman
02-11-2010, 05:37 PM
So i have to ask and no malice intended here ... but why? What purpose would it serve? Yeah they are kinda cool to see, possibly giving the uninformed some insight maybe. Other than your post on the subject i've never seen another ask that question that i can recall and i'm on many forums. As far as quality control or other stuff people should be aware of, if it was that big of a deal then all the mfgrs would do it if there was value in it.

There really is not much innovation in making a boat from 20 years ago to now except for a few differences in materials and minor techniques. Molds are still done the same, interiors are done the same, electrical, etc, etc. I can look in my '07 LSV and see most the same materials and techniques as were in my last three boats back to '95. In fact the only REALLY different other than advances in composite materials is the upgraded electrics and the bling.

Birdman_08_LSV
02-11-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm with Razz on this one. And just because a video is posted showing how that "say" it's done everytime doesn't really mean that's how it's done everytime. People know a video is the dress up of how things are done.

phospher
02-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Making videos like that cost money.

C'mon now. Would take an hour of one of the execs time. Cameras are cheap and I'm sure someone at the company has one. Record the process and put it online again cheap. Peanuts as one poster put it.

So i have to ask and no malice intended here ... but why?

Have you watched the Sanger videos? They are very interesting if nothing else. I would love to come tour the factory but it isn't a very logical thing to to do considering I live in Wisco.

just because a video is posted showing how that "say" it's done everytime doesn't really mean that's how it's done everytime. People know a video is the dress up of how things are done.

I agree but certainly there is some level of trust that we must accept. And I would hope and give the benefit of the doubt that any reputable boat dealer would not lie about their vids. We certainly trust the build process of our Moombas just like a Sanger owner trusts the build process of their Sanger.

Just my opinion and just a suggestion :)

dru1974
02-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Now come on, I know you said you had a boat since 85 or something, me andmy family have had boats since 76, yes ski boats, and yes I am still very interested in the manufactureing of said boats.In a factory I would asume that boats in a video or not go through the same process and I do believe that technology has come a long way and there are diferences in manufacturing and if you watch that s----er video they seem to emply that wood stringers are the way to go. I mean its not just me and phos that want this and lets not get on each other. we all love skiiers choice.

Razzman
02-12-2010, 01:00 AM
Actually i've been to the Sanger plant ... and the Malibu ... and the Centurion and it's nowhere as interesting as Sangers video makes it seem. But everyone should see it for themselves i guess.

Hoopskier
02-12-2010, 01:03 AM
It would be nice to see Skiers Choice make a video. I think it could help show how moomba is on par with other big names. Although I like the idea of not spending a ton of money on it so that cost would not get passed on to the consumer. I would love to take a tour of a boat factory, not practical though. I'm not in the market for a brand new boat nor am I close to the factory. Just being a supporter of Moomba.

Sled491
02-14-2010, 02:08 PM
To Razz's point, recently had a long conversation with Matt Brown at SC. He tells me they still almost every mold they have ever used. Point? Not much has changed.

If you were really that interested, go to the factory tour. Heck Ian from Micigan went, if that's not a haul what is?

phospher
02-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Sure, the hulls are still made the same but certainly things have changed. I think it is widely agreed upon that the Moombas within the past few years are of much better quality then the Moombas of the 90's. If you agree with that statement, then the question is how have they changed/improved?

Sled491
02-14-2010, 10:19 PM
True, but I believe that is more the quality of the materials, seats, fabrics etc as has been mentioned before, not because of some revolutionalry new manufacturing process

phospher
02-15-2010, 01:02 AM
Sled491, I agree...