PDA

View Full Version : Flip over Bow Navigation light

mmandley
02-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Before you start this project id reccomend you have nerves of steel and stones to back those up. This was the hardest project ive done and took me about 3 hours.

Step 1. Remove the single screw on the back of the factory bow light.
Step 2. Remove the chrome cover with a flat head screw driver.
Step 3. Remove the mounting screw from the back of the bow light.
Step 4. Twist the Red/Green lens to take it off.
Step 5. Remove the screw under the colored lens.

Now you have a 1 inch hole in the boat, remove the 2 wires on the light and your done with removal.

Now the easy part.

Tape the entire nose of your boat with Blue painters tape. Use at least 3 layers. I used 5 layers as this will help do 3 things.
1. Serves as a drawing board for your template.
2. Protects the gell coat from your tools while working.
3. Helps prevent gell coat chipping while cutting.

After you got the nose all taped, use the supplied Template and draw your new hole you need to cut.

You need to center this and measure a lot to make sure its all centered on the nose of the boat. I ran 2 peaces of tape from the front of the nose back so i have a center line to the front of the boat. Then i measured several times to find a center point to apply my template.

After the tape is down and the template is drawn comes the fun.

I used an oscillating saw, jig saw and a half moon file.

I cut my ruff square out with the oscillating saw and then used a Jig saw to cut the round top and bottom sections.

You can use a jig saw for the entire hole but i just didnt want to put that kind of pressure on the gell coat so i only used it for the edging of the round top and bottom.

After this i used a half moon file. It is shaped like half a moon on one side and flat on the other. I used this to grind the edges to the template so they were perfect.

After that i removed all the Blue tape and test fitted it all. Perfect snug fit.

Now i just connect my wires, add 3 stainless steel screws < not included >

All set. I still have to pick up some screws and as you can see the front of the boat needs a good cleaning now.

mmandley
02-10-2010, 08:50 PM
This is how the light looks while in motion.

This is the same style light Supra has.

newty
02-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Don't forget the screws!:p

Nice job brutha!

jester
02-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Mike, Looks like the hole is not center. J/k Look great. Guess you are now a pro. How many beers did it take before you cut into your baby? Or how many after it was done.

Razzman
02-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Yup, same one i put on two years ago almost now, made by Aqua Signal (http://www.aquasignal.info/ecat/htdocs/index.php?category_id=1&subcategory_id=1&product_id=44&item_id=165). Nice job!

I also chronicled the install along with some questions. Mike, as long as you use the proper blade there's no issue with a jig saw on the gel. Here's a link to my install as well; Razzman's Install (https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=6160&highlight=razzman)

mmandley
02-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Mike, Looks like the hole is not center. J/k Look great. Guess you are now a pro. How many beers did it take before you cut into your baby? Or how many after it was done.

Let me tell ya, This wasn't the first time i cut or drilled so it was a little easier. My biggest concern was not to over do it. Once i was close i used the file for almost an hour to get it perfect. I didn't want to risk the saw when i was right on the edge.

< pishh > < slurp > well needed after all that stressful work lol.

As for being a pro, if you want one id be happy to help ya do the install. Its not to bad actually. Looks really sweet when done though.

mmandley
02-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Yup, same one i put on two years ago almost now, made by Aqua Signal (http://www.aquasignal.info/ecat/htdocs/index.php?category_id=1&subcategory_id=1&product_id=44&item_id=165). Nice job!

I also chronicled the install along with some questions. Mike, as long as you use the proper blade there's no issue with a jig saw on the gel. Here's a link to my install as well; Razzman's Install (https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=6160&highlight=razzman)

Yup i used yours as a guide as a matter a fact, forgot about the wire harness, but made it threw just fine.

meech
02-10-2010, 09:38 PM
i've been wanting to do this for awhile, but am too big of a wuss since i'd probably eff it up .. :) looks great!

Razzman
02-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Yup i used yours as a guide as a matter a fact, forgot about the wire harness, but made it threw just fine.

Yeah i can't figure out why they screwed that blasted harness right where they did!

The other thing was why no bow access behind the cushion! Made it a royal pain to do!

jester
02-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Razz, I remember look at your when you first did it and thining that is what i really want to do. Took a step back and went I did not have the stones at the time to drill my baby. Now i am checking again but do not think i have them yet. I really do like the bow light that flips up. Such a nice look.

Brianinpdx
02-10-2010, 11:23 PM
What Mike didn't tell you is he did this upgrade at the Exile Shop and now the warehouse smells like a fiberglass body shop. Nice work... Lol.

In all reality, if we ever get the NW moomba guys together, this mod might be a good thing to walk people thru clinic style! I was also thinking we could have the regional technical trainer from Meguires show the group how to properly clean, wax, care for the boat. He does amazing stuff.

Are we ready to do a Moomba Jam tech tune?

-Brian

mmandley
02-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Of course i wanted till it was at your shop. What do you think Claudia would say if i stunk up the house with that smell LOL.

Im ready when ever everyone else is.

Any Sunday Monday Tuesday.

Jester if you really want to do this mod id be happy to come visit you and help you bro.
Meech your a bit of a drive man, but I know Claudia would love to spend a day in Seattle shopping while i was busy doing something else LOL. If you really want to do it man we can make it happen.

brain_rinse
02-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Looks good, nice and sleek!

moombadaze
02-11-2010, 08:13 AM
looking good there M.

gus 08 mobius lsv
02-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Of course i wanted till it was at your shop. What do you think Claudia would say if i stunk up the house with that smell LOL.

Im ready when ever everyone else is.

Any Sunday Monday Tuesday.

Jester if you really want to do this mod id be happy to come visit you and help you bro.
Meech your a bit of a drive man, but I know Claudia would love to spend a day in Seattle shopping while i was busy doing something else LOL. If you really want to do it man we can make it happen.

how bout coming to ohio to help with it mike?
claudia can build a snowman we have about 16 inches of freakin snow!
kinda hard to get wakeboarding on the mind with that crap!

great job though looks nice

mmandley
02-11-2010, 09:48 PM
HAHA Gus heck yea id come to Ohio just get my a plane ticket hahaha. Im off 3 days on my short week and 4 days on my long week. Let me know LOL.

Seriously if you want to do it call me ill walk ya threw it.