PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy 0/2 ga battery cables?

brain_rinse
02-09-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm in the process of relocating my batteries and need a couple longer 2/0 gauge power wires. I've been to a couple of auto parts stores but no luck yet. Anyone know where I can buy this stuff by the foot or in short lengths?
Thanks!

mmandley
02-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Al found a place here local to us, im sure you can find something local to you. Look for wire supply companies, they should sell welding cables, things like that.

Then you need to measure how much you want and they will just cut you a peace, then add the fittings your self. Thats the best way. Most local Auto stores, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, Checker, and Napa will only have 3 or 6ft lengths.

Also these wire companies might have a jacket thats softer and makes routing the cables easier.

brain_rinse
02-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks, I'll see what I can find. I only need 2 3' lengths, but the ones at the parts stores aren't as big as the ones I'm replacing, even though they say 2 gauge.

mmandley
02-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Another thought is Welding cable, its a lot softer and easier to bend, I think i herd someone saying its not the best due to it will rust easily, not coated or something.

If you only need short lengths then that does open a lot of options.

zabooda
02-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Most battery stores will custom make the cables. I need some made for a winch I'm adding to my Jeep and I have two stores in my local area that makes them.

You may want to check out the chart and see exactly what wire size you need.

http://www.affordable-solar.com/wire.charts.htm

BRANDNIRON8971
02-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Try your local machanic. I have a buddy that has a shop, and has rolls of the stuff. I'm going to get it from him at cost, (SWEET) when I ge the lengths I need. He also has all the fittings I need.

Razzman
02-09-2010, 09:16 PM
I have used these people in the past, thay are good and reasonable for making custom cables.

GenuineDealz (http://stores.ebay.com/Genuinedealz?_rdc=1)

cab13367
02-10-2010, 03:11 AM
I'm in the process of relocating my batteries and need a couple longer 0/2 gauge power wires. I've been to a couple of auto parts stores but no luck yet. Anyone know where I can buy this stuff by the foot or in short lengths?
Thanks!

Do you mean 2/0? NAPA sells it by the foot. They are the only auto parts store I found that sells anything that big.

cab13367
02-10-2010, 03:15 AM
Al found a place here local to us, im sure you can find something local to you. Look for wire supply companies, they should sell welding cables, things like that.

Then you need to measure how much you want and they will just cut you a peace, then add the fittings your self. Thats the best way. Most local Auto stores, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, Checker, and Napa will only have 3 or 6ft lengths.

Also these wire companies might have a jacket thats softer and makes routing the cables easier.

Mike,

I drove by that place the other day where I bought the 2/0 welding cable. It's called Battery Xchange and it's on Cedar Hills Rd between hwy 8 & 10 in Beaverton.

brain_rinse
02-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. While researching I've seen comments that state marine grade battery cable uses tinned copper to help resist corrosion, so I'm going to try to go that route if possible. I've got an email out to the GenuineDealz place Razzman linked, and it looks like they've got everything I need at very reasonable prices. Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'll post back once I get the cables.

sandm
02-10-2010, 11:16 AM
tried any of the local stereo shops? sometimes the guys that build the competition systems will have large guage cable by the foot, but it'll be somewhat expensive.

Razzman
02-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Hey Brain, if you know the length and terminals you want they'll build (crimp, solder & heat shrink) them for a very reasonable cost.

brain_rinse
02-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Hey Brain, if you know the length and terminals you want they'll build (crimp, solder & heat shrink) them for a very reasonable cost.
Yep, that's exactly what I plan to do. Given that I have 2 of the factory crimp connections fail in 1 season, and that the wire is just so big, I'm inclined to let them get the cables put together for me.