PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboarding in Minnesota

mobyatBelews
02-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Never thought I would need to ask this, but... how is it in the Minneapolis area? I know there are a ton of lakes, but I have not found a lot about Mn. wakeboarding on the web. What are the better lakes, how long is the season, when can you shed the wetsuits, etc. We are considerig a move there and I have to figure in this aspect to my decision.

c.rix
02-09-2010, 10:41 AM
There are many lakes that are good and also some that are not if you actually want to wakeboard. It depends on where you live in the metro. I live in the southwest metro and have 3-4 decent lakes 2-3 great wakeboarding lakes with minor traffic and 2 PARTY lakes all within 15 miles of my place

The season can be ok starting in early may with a wet suit toward the end of may you should be able to shed that wetsuit in the metro. Last fall I was out on Minnetonka Musky fishing mid november and there was a guy doing laps in his malibu with a wet suit on. That isnt typical but it can happen 2 years ago we went to late september early october without wetsuits but the water got hard fast after that weekend...

Its the land of 10,000 lakes most places in the state its hard to be too far from a lake...
I personally would rather trek up north less crowds better lakes

snowboardcorey
02-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Riding here is great, I live in Minneapolis and have about 5 lakes i ride depending on the time and where the wind is coming from. C.Rix is spot on about the season, I'd say we typically ride from May to September but thats dependent on the weather. I've been out in April though its not the norm.

BensonWdby
02-09-2010, 09:13 PM
April ice out is usually the first week in April, later as you go north. My ski partner was on our lake in Western Wi. the day after Thanksgiving this year with a dry suit. I saw the photos - all exposed skin was totally red.

snowboardcorey
02-21-2010, 03:37 PM
The countdown is on to more days like these!