PDA

View Full Version : WOW did you guys see this

Hydrofoiljunky
02-08-2010, 11:31 PM
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/774080.html?1265683924

Makes me Cringe thinking this could happen to anyone towing interstates. Thank God nobody got hurt.

newty
02-08-2010, 11:56 PM
My wife and I were just cringing at the sound that boat would have made being drug up on the flatbed.

phospher
02-09-2010, 12:00 AM
damn. that's a bit of momentum once that boat starts sailing.

yeah, and your post just made me cringe too! just thinking about that..

viking
02-09-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm crying and it's not even my boat :(

Amazing nobody was decapitated.......

sandm
02-09-2010, 08:42 AM
wow. lucky that no one was seriously hurt. 5000lbs of flying boat across lanes of an interstate is disaster waiting to happen.

guess on the flip side, centurion just sold another boat..

moombadaze
02-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Read that last night. Amazing.

kaneboats
02-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Some of those can't be avoided but some can. Let's all try to leave a few minutes early this year and take our time getting there. Keep safe distances and avoid the ones we can avoid. So glad everyone is allright-- I can't believe the airborne boat didn't take anyone out.

deerfield
02-09-2010, 11:54 AM
..........and use rear tie downs, along with winch strap and backup (e.g. boat buddy) at the bow, to keep that boat secure to the trailer in the event of an emergency.

mmandley
02-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Yea i read that last night as well.

Thats why im glad i got these.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=73278&pdesc=BoatBuckle_G2_Bow_Tie_Down_System&aID=603J&merchID=4006

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=32050&pdesc=BoatBuckle_Retractable_Transom_Tie_Down_Syst em&aID=603J&merchID=4006

Should be here any day now.

moombadaze
02-09-2010, 12:29 PM
mmandley, never tried the front buckle, but I do have the rear buckles--your going to love them.

that boat was tied down and still went airborne-

mmandley
02-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Yes thats true you can see the rear tie downs. I dont know if they had a bow strap like im getting.

Dont think any strap would have mattered because with a jackknife at those speeds the G forces on the boat would most likely rip any standard strap you used.

I am looking forward to the ratchet straps thats for sure. The factory ones that it comes with have a tension setion you tighten then when you fold the levelr up it tightens it all. This created a spring loaded condition when you unbuckle it and im always nervous ill catch a finger or something when that pressure unloads.

Razzman
02-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Exactly Daze, in that situation 1" link chain wouldn't have kept that boat down.

I too have the auto retract rear tie-downs but use a regular mechanical tie-down strap in front i cut down the length on. Same thing just not attached.

Btw that boat is one of two identical boats used by the owners/sponsors of WakeOutlaws (http://www.wakeoutlaws.com/). Other than the obvious already havng been said, it's a shame as he special ordered that boat back in '08 and i remember how excited he was during the build.

csm
02-09-2010, 05:32 PM
I was actually caught in the traffic jam that this caused, and couldn't believe when I saw a very expensive boat on a flatbed. Glad everyone was okay, but I had no idea the boat had jumped the median. Stuff like this freaks me out, which is why I made my own heavy duty chain tie-down for the bow, but I'm not sure that would have helped in this situation.

This was in the same general area where a week before, I saw a lady leading about 40 cops on a police chase total the SUV she had carjacked, jump the median on foot, and nearly escape.

Makes me want to take backroads.

brenpire
02-09-2010, 06:54 PM
CRAZY, Totally CRAZY!!!

pmoomba
02-09-2010, 07:06 PM
mmandley do you know if you'll need to drill holes to support that bow strap install?

mmandley
02-09-2010, 09:52 PM
mmandley do you know if you'll need to drill holes to support that bow strap install?

Ive been wondering this myself. I know the rear of the trailer has places pre cut. I wont know for sure till i get the new straps in. Should be any day now i get them in and ill let ya know.

Razzman
02-10-2010, 12:01 AM
The retractable tie-downs require a hole for the bolt which runs through the middle. On a solid channel frame it means drilling all the way through, same way on my old trailer. On the rears on the boatmate i had to do nothing as the tabs are there. You'll more than likely have to drill a hole in the front, either full through or one side and insert a nutsert.

Birdman_08_LSV
02-11-2010, 05:34 PM
The people who seen it had to freak out! A boat that big flying that far! WOW!

mmandley
02-11-2010, 10:00 PM
You know this just proves how well these boats are built, and how strong they really are.

They were able to repair the drive train, fix all the fiberglass and gell coat just like new.

I know cutting that hole in the nose and seeing how thick it is really makes me a lot less nervous climbing around and standing on the boat.

These things are built like a fiberglass tank LOL.

jclevoy
02-12-2010, 12:06 AM
That is just awful. Glad everyone was OK, and it seems like the owner is getting his ducks in a row to get everything replaced.

Sled491
02-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Wow, glad eveyone was OK. Accidents happen and I doubt that any straps would have kept that boat from flying at those speeds. Inertia is a bitch. I always fear in the winter pulling my big trailers in snow storms and one of those starts to take off on me, yikes, they could yank my big PU around in second and that would be that.

Bottom line, be thankful that the Gods like us water people and look out for us :)