PDA

View Full Version : Moomba Tower Folding

phospher
02-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Ok, I'm thinking by memory here so I don't know if this will work...

Because of space constraints I'm not able to keep my tower on when storing in my garage. But, if the tower where to fold backwards I think it would fit. So does anyone know if it's possible to switch the hand screws to the front mount points and just fold the tower backwards?

04OUTBACK
02-08-2010, 04:42 PM
its been a few years since I had my Outback, but it is designed to fold forward.

If it is long term storage, not in and out, I'd say just pull off completely..

IF, you folded it backwards, it would stick up too high as the front pivot point is far down the leg..

phospher
02-08-2010, 04:51 PM
ahh, i see what your saying. Yeah it may be to high.

I'm thinking how I'm going to handle the storage in the summer as I don't want to pull the tower on and off. Right now it's off so that it fits in my garage but come summer when I'm using it all the time I'm not always going to pull it on and off.. Maybe my wife will have to park her car outside afterall.. Though she may have something else to say about that.

BobP
02-08-2010, 11:13 PM
We have an 08 Outback V, same tower I think. Folding it forwards leaves plenty of room to store in standard garage. I think our garage opening is 6' 10" or so and it fits...I think the trailer boat bumpers actually come closer to hitting the opening. We just wrap some nerf pad (like used on roll cages) on front arms of tower which rest on the boat when folded forward, no worries with scratches.

Hoopskier
02-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Ok, I'm thinking by memory here so I don't know if this will work...

Because of space constraints I'm not able to keep my tower on when storing in my garage. But, if the tower where to fold backwards I think it would fit. So does anyone know if it's possible to switch the hand screws to the front mount points and just fold the tower backwards?

You mention space constraints. What kind of contraints? Lenghth, Width, or height.

As for Width the trailer should be wider than the tower so that should not be an issue. The height, it would be taller if attempted to fold back. If its too long it would be easier to take the platform off the back, if you don't already.

phospher
02-09-2010, 12:10 AM
It's in my garage as we speak. It's a 2 car garage, about 22 feet deep. I have it in there on a bit of an angle and it's touching the wall in the back with the swim deck off. Once the garage door is shut and tongue swung to the side I have maybe 2 inches to spare. The first night I brought it home I was actually really surprised that they both fit. Now, if I don't park my wifes car in the garage I could store it in there with the tower on no sweat. The problem is that when It's folded forward the front of the boat gets a lot wider and my wifes car will no longer fit.

Make sense?

2007 Outback V
02-09-2010, 12:37 AM
It's in my garage as we speak. It's a 2 car garage, about 22 feet deep. I have it in there on a bit of an angle and it's touching the wall in the back with the swim deck off. Once the garage door is shut and tongue swung to the side I have maybe 2 inches to spare. The first night I brought it home I was actually really surprised that they both fit. Now, if I don't park my wifes car in the garage I could store it in there with the tower on no sweat. The problem is that when It's folded forward the front of the boat gets a lot wider and my wifes car will no longer fit.

Make sense?

Makes sense to me! I kind of have the same trouble. Wish mine folded back like the LSV.

moomba wannabe
02-10-2010, 10:53 AM
If you decide to switch out towers and need to get rid of yours let me know, I am in the market for an OEM tower for my 05 Outback.

phospher
02-10-2010, 12:41 PM
moomba wannabe-

My wife's car will be moved outside before I sell my tower. And I think once she looks at the price of a new one she will agree. ;)

moomba wannabe
02-10-2010, 02:06 PM
I hear that!

cachais
06-22-2010, 11:07 AM
I have an 08 outback direct drive. I pull my boat into the garage backwards with my tower folded. Once it clears my garage door and garage door opener, I can prop it up with 2x4's and push the boat in the rest of the way. My ceiling is not high enough to allow the tower to stand all the way up, I have to go backwards because my garage door will not shut with the tower folded. Sounds complicated, but I do it myself and it is pretty easy. I have a single axle trailer and a level driveway so that helps.

moombadaze
06-22-2010, 12:48 PM
The forward folding tower's are light weight (as long as no speakers and stuff added) and very easy to remove and reinstall if needed.