PDA

View Full Version : Replacing speaker wire. Recommendations?

Cooper07
02-07-2010, 02:06 PM
I am going to replace my speaker wire for my tower speakers. Purchased the boat last season and the wiring is pretty brittle. Is using standard marine wire OK or is it worth spending the extra $$ for the Monster. It seems pretty pricey.

Brianinpdx
02-07-2010, 05:55 PM
As a fellow manufacturer myself, It's probably bad for me to say yes or no to a specific brand.... but I will say, get yourself a decent cable that has a 14ga conductor and look for a jacket thats very bendable. there are some great online deals that I'm sure many of the poeple here could suggest.

People often ask about 12ga cables and I think its overkill for tower applications. The flat wife is nice and a bit pricey but compared to the monster might be affordable.

Cheers

-Brian
Exile Audio

sandm
02-08-2010, 09:41 AM
had good luck with all the wiring for my system from knukonceptz.com
several others on here have used them as well. otherwise check out ebay and look for some deals from stinger or streewires or the such. brian has the right advice, and imo, monster is overrated and overpriced..

EarmarkMarine
02-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Cooper,

You want 16/4 for four conventional speakers,

14/4 for four upgrade spakers or,

12/4 for larger HLCDs.

You don't want regular wire with a fat and sticky sleeve. Its hard to pull and its bulky. We use jacketed multi-conductor cable that is very flexible and has a common outer sleeve that is slick and easy to pull. Its far less bulky.

As for in-the-boat, its less critical.

David
Earmark Marine

cab13367
02-10-2010, 03:01 AM
I am going to replace my speaker wire for my tower speakers. Purchased the boat last season and the wiring is pretty brittle. Is using standard marine wire OK or is it worth spending the extra $$ for the Monster. It seems pretty pricey.

I bought mine at monoprice.com. They are true to gauge, appear to be good quality, and the price is right.

brain_rinse
02-10-2010, 10:55 AM
I bought mine at monoprice.com. They are true to gauge, appear to be good quality, and the price is right.
Yep, same here.

kaneboats
02-10-2010, 11:47 AM
I get all my wires and cables for everything there. Great site- fast shipping. Love them.