PDA

View Full Version : Barefoot Boom

deerfield
02-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Please help me out with the specific Barefoot International boom model you sold last year. I have an '07 Outback, am ready to buy a boom, and am looking at both the used and new markets. Found a used boom for sale on the Supra site, but it is designed to attach to a tapered tow pylon. As you know, the tow pylon on an Outback is not tapered. That is problem one. Also, I have a Rad-A-Cage tower. To clear the windshield and back tower legs requires a boom with an 8 inch setback. That is problem two. Advertisements for new booms claim "universal" fit. I want a direct application that truly does not require any modification so I don't end up with hassles, headaches, and disappointment. Do you recall the exact model you sold and did it fit your Outback without modification? Thanks. - Deerfield

DOCDRS
02-09-2010, 12:20 AM
We generally will alway place a thick foam cushion or old life jacket between the boom and the gunnel as well. plus a line tieing it off to a back clete minimizes forward spring on ejection

viking
02-11-2010, 07:51 PM
I don't know anything about this or if it will work or not deerfield but ran accross it on wakeworld.............

http://www.wakeworld.com/cgi-bin/Discus4/show.cgi?8/768208

deerfield
02-11-2010, 09:42 PM
I don't know anything about this or if it will work or not deerfield but ran accross it on wakeworld.............

http://www.wakeworld.com/cgi-bin/Discus4/show.cgi?8/768208

viking - I connected last week with this seller. His tow pylon is tapered and set back is less than on my Outback. He doubts it will fit my application. If it did, I would snap it up. New is around $500. His price is $200 plus about $50 for shipping. So, I'm still looking. I appreciate your bringing this one to my attention. Thanks! - Deerfield

deerfield
02-11-2010, 09:54 PM
flatH2O - Thanks for the information. I hear ya on being extra careful when using the boom. I really want one of these for my kids and all the other people we take on the boat during the summer. If I have to, I'll buy new and pay full price if that's what it takes to have the right setup with no modifications. A barefoot boom is one of those things that I can see keeping for the next ten years, at least. - Deerfield

barefooterh2o
02-13-2010, 12:11 AM
I have a tapered B.I. boom that I switch between my 05' Malibu and my 07' and 08' Outbacks. It is not as tapered as FlatH2O's, but fits just as well. There is only 2 minor drawbacks.
1) The chine spray is wider on the Outbacks than the Malibu so you may want to buy an boom extension if you are planning on teaching people to barefoot. The chine spray can mess up beginners to barefooting. Not a problem if you are teaching wakeboarding.
2) The pylon can only be mounted toward the passenger side on the Outback because of seat to motorbox area. On the Malibu (and at the barefoot ski schools) are mounted it on the driver's side so it is easier to see the skier. Again this is minor.

Sled491
02-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Deerfield, I have to agree with this tapered pole thing. The few MC's I ski with all have the boom brackets mounted on there pylons and it is right at Fr#$@&^ shin height so the taper at that point would be minimal. I'm sure for the right price some one with your skills could get it to work.

When you get set up I want to be one of the 1st to try to barefoot off it. I used to get up old school with a big rigid foam surf board :)

deerfield
02-14-2010, 04:51 PM
I have a tapered B.I. boom that I switch between my 05' Malibu and my 07' and 08' Outbacks. It is not as tapered as FlatH2O's, but fits just as well. There is only 2 minor drawbacks.
1) The chine spray is wider on the Outbacks than the Malibu so you may want to buy an boom extension if you are planning on teaching people to barefoot. The chine spray can mess up beginners to barefooting. Not a problem if you are teaching wakeboarding.
2) The pylon can only be mounted toward the passenger side on the Outback because of seat to motorbox area. On the Malibu (and at the barefoot ski schools) are mounted it on the driver's side so it is easier to see the skier. Again this is minor.

barefooterh2o - VERY helpful information - both points. Will see about getting an extension and try finding a boom that will fit to mount on the driver's side. Thanks. - Deerfield

deerfield
02-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Deerfield, I have to agree with this tapered pole thing. The few MC's I ski with all have the boom brackets mounted on there pylons and it is right at Fr#$@&^ shin height so the taper at that point would be minimal. I'm sure for the right price some one with your skills could get it to work.

When you get set up I want to be one of the 1st to try to barefoot off it. I used to get up old school with a big rigid foam surf board :)

Sled - You are on! As per above, I'm gonna' find a boom that will mount on the driver side to avoid banging shins and get an extension to avoid chine spray. I'll drive and you can show my boys how to foot. Promise me that when you FACE PLANT you'll act like it does not hurt. - Deerfield

barefooterh2o
02-14-2010, 06:24 PM
I think the only way you can mount the boom on the driver's side is having the seat all the way forward. The seat, on the Outback, goes behind the front of the motor box making it difficult to put a curved or straight boom on that side. The only other option is to buy one that mounts to tower, if you want it on the driver's side. Otherwise the passengers have to step over the boom.

Hope this helps.

Sled491
02-14-2010, 07:52 PM
I think the only way you can mount the boom on the driver's side is having the seat all the way forward. The seat, on the Outback, goes behind the front of the motor box making it difficult to put a curved or straight boom on that side. The only other option is to buy one that mounts to tower, if you want it on the driver's side. Otherwise the passengers have to step over the boom.

Hope this helps.

Oh deerfield that may be a problem for you with your height.

As for faking the faceplant not hurting, well I'll do my best. Of course laughter is the best cure for that, and I'm sure the boys will have no problem laughing at my demise :)

deerfield
02-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Update: I am buying a Barefoot International Model B202 Universal Contour Boom and Model B110 Boom Extension. A guy by the name of Mike Seipel from Barefoot International called my house today. With him on the phone, he had me measure the distance from tow pylon center point to base of Rad-A-Cage tower rear mounts. He said this model will fit and work from both the driver and passenger sides without modification. Also, just as barefooterh2o said, the extension will keep people clear of the chine spray. Guy was helpful. Gave me tips about the setup. He said to call him back on his cell phone and he would walk me through the install. Price is $469 for boom and $69 for extension. No sales tax. No shipping cost. Will take pics of the install and someone enjoying a ride behind the boom. Look for Sled's smilin' face this spring! I appreciate all the advice. Thanks, guys. - Deerfield

Sled491
02-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Man the pressure is on now :)

Congrats, sounds like another good addition to the Ole Outback.

Lookin forward to it though, should be a lot of fun...when I'm not face planting! :D

viking
02-17-2010, 01:19 AM
Now if only Mother Nature will cooperate and provide a nice, early, warm spring :) Look forward to pics!

Sled491
02-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Maybe not behind Deerfields boat, but I think late March early April with a dry suit.,

deerfield
03-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Brought home the new Barefoot International boom. In addition, I bought an extension (to get people beyond reach of the chine spray) and barefoot handle (for more comfortable grip). The dealer gave me pointers on installation and use of the boom. After taking these pictures I put her away in the garage. Season starts in April, if I am lucky. My sons are interested in learning how to barefoot. In addition, we sometimes have guests on the boat who want to succeed but just can't get up long line on skis or wakeboard. Boom is the answer. This is a GREAT addition to the toys. Watch for pictures this summer!

gus 08 mobius lsv
03-14-2010, 07:26 PM
i think i'm gonna get this next year ... i have alot of youngsters in the familes that i wanna get into water sports and i guess this is best way for success. i'm interested in seeing pics and the hearing about the ease of install on this. its not something i'm gonna want on my boat all the time so can you take it down and put it up easily?

Hoopskier
03-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Gus,

The only part that it really intended to stay on the boat is the bracket that mounts to the pylon. The rest of it is all removeable. The boom is easiest to mount with 2 people but managable with 1. Not because of weight, just the size. Takes me just a few minutes. Easiest by the dock to set-up. If you do mount in the middle of the lake-Make sure you do NOT drop it in the lake, will sink obviously.

Also in my recent edition of the Overton's catalog, they are offering 10% off orders over $100. You still have to pay for shipping though. This offer was valid until 5/31/10.

Anyone in Wausau, WI ordering from them, can split the shipping then.

Sled491
03-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Deerfield, lets get this moving :)

I was crossing the ice yesterday to the island and went through. Went back today to do some work and came straight home to get my little dock boat ready, open water is just days away!

MNKid
05-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Update: I am buying a Barefoot International Model B202 Universal Contour Boom and Model B110 Boom Extension. A guy by the name of Mike Seipel from Barefoot International called my house today. With him on the phone, he had me measure the distance from tow pylon center point to base of Rad-A-Cage tower rear mounts. He said this model will fit and work from both the driver and passenger sides without modification. Also, just as barefooterh2o said, the extension will keep people clear of the chine spray. Guy was helpful. Gave me tips about the setup. He said to call him back on his cell phone and he would walk me through the install. Price is $469 for boom and $69 for extension. No sales tax. No shipping cost. Will take pics of the install and someone enjoying a ride behind the boom. Look for Sled's smilin' face this spring! I appreciate all the advice. Thanks, guys. - Deerfield

Hey Deerfield,

We just purchased a 2007 Outback and BFI recommended the same setup. Have you had a chance to try it out yet?

How is the side spray?
When you have it installed how far does it sit past the windshield (I will need to find and install an after market tower, any tower recommendations)?
Lastly have you tried mounting it on the driver’s side? How far forward do you have to have the driver’s seat, enough room to get in and out of the seat?

Thanks,

deerfield
05-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Hey Deerfield,

We just purchased a 2007 Outback and BFI recommended the same setup. Have you had a chance to try it out yet?

How is the side spray?
When you have it installed how far does it sit past the windshield (I will need to find and install an after market tower, any tower recommendations)?
Lastly have you tried mounting it on the driver’s side? How far forward do you have to have the driver’s seat, enough room to get in and out of the seat?

Thanks,

MNKid - I will know in about a week, so keep an eye on the forum. My boat is at the house at the moment. Hope to have it on the late this coming weekend. Will take pics of the installed boom and chine spray. Welcome to the Moomba family. - Deerfield

MNKid
05-13-2010, 08:10 PM
I went ahead and made the purchase. I ordered it from Barefoot Central late Tuesday and it arived today(Thursday). We set it up and it looks like it should work great, we will git-r on the water this weekend. We installed it out the drivers side. The seat is all the way forward but you still have just enough room to get in and out.

Deerfield, have you had yours on the boat yet? Does it fit between your rear tower leg and windshield? I am shopping for an aftermarket tower and would like to mount it in the same position as where the factory tower is mounted.

Thanks,

deerfield
05-13-2010, 09:04 PM
I went ahead and made the purchase. I ordered it from Barefoot Central late Tuesday and it arived today(Thursday). We set it up and it looks like it should work great, we will git-r on the water this weekend. We installed it out the drivers side. The seat is all the way forward but you still have just enough room to get in and out.

Deerfield, have you had yours on the boat yet? Does it fit between your rear tower leg and windshield? I am shopping for an aftermarket tower and would like to mount it in the same position as where the factory tower is mounted.

Thanks,

MNKid - No. The boat is still at the house in the driveway. Weather has been awful. Rain and cold. So, I have not bothered with putting the boom on the boat. Like you, I will install the boom on the driver side. I will post a pic so you can see how it fits around the tower base. Am very pleased that you got the boom! - Deerfield

maxpower220
05-13-2010, 09:25 PM
I have a boom on my boat and actually went barefooting. I have a contoured boom and it fits behind the tower legs. I added a clip to the support wire to give it a little extra room. With a full boat (3 adults and 2 kids), the 325hp is just barely up to snuff. It needs more power to be a good barefoot boat. There was no noticable spray but that was just off of the boom and shortline.

Sled491
05-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Max is right, our boats are just a bit slow to be good barefoot boats. Not to say you can't do it, but for anybody over 170 -180 it's just a touch slow. Lucky for me, between my buddies there are 3 MC barefoot boats and 1 Sanger so if the mood so strikes me I'm covered :)

deerfield
05-13-2010, 09:55 PM
I have a boom on my boat and actually went barefooting. I have a contoured boom and it fits behind the tower legs. I added a clip to the support wire to give it a little extra room. With a full boat (3 adults and 2 kids), the 325hp is just barely up to snuff. It needs more power to be a good barefoot boat. There was no noticable spray but that was just off of the boom and shortline.

Hold on. Last time I footed (ages ago) speed was 34. My Outback tops out at 45. Do you have the issue hanging from the boom or just when doing a long line deep water start? You saying the boat can't get up to speed or is just slow getting to speed with a full load? Help me out here.

Sled491
05-13-2010, 10:04 PM
You could foot at slower speeds but the spray would be crazy. I've never gone below 40 and most guys I know are running 46 - 48 mph

MNKid
05-13-2010, 10:44 PM

With the boom behind the tower leg, hows the angle of tthe boom? Doesn't it angle to the back of the boat?

45mph will be plenty for out needs.
Rule of thumb is weight/10 plus 20.
190/10=19, plus 20 is 39mph. then maybe faster for more advance tricks and you should be able to go a touch slower off the boom shortline vs. long line.
My 11 year old likes 29mph and the 15 year old is 38mph.

deerfield
05-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Rule of thumb is weight/10 plus 20.

Okay, then I'm at 37/38 MPH. Can't imagine (or want to think about) a face plant at Sled's 46 - 48. That would be just nasty.

Sled491
05-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Hey it hurts, but that's how we learned :)

phospher
05-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Max is right, our boats are just a bit slow to be good barefoot boats. Not to say you can't do it, but for anybody over 170 -180 it's just a touch slow. Lucky for me, between my buddies there are 3 MC barefoot boats and 1 Sanger so if the mood so strikes me I'm covered :)

I must say, I'm very surprised at this. I haven't tried barefooting behind the Moomba but I've barefooted behind a bunch of other inboards that don't seem any faster or more powerful than my Moomba. I also have an 1982 American Skier with a 351W (240hp) and that thing pulls footers fine.

phospher
05-14-2010, 12:13 AM
A guy by the name of Mike Seipel from Barefoot International

That is "thee Mike Seipel" pretty much a legend..

http://www.waterskihalloffame.com/docs/Bios/Mike%20Seipel.htm

Hoopskier
05-14-2010, 01:31 AM
When barefooting behing my outback I find the speed acceptable on boom, shortline, and long line. Just for reference, I'm about 5'11" and 200 lbs. I find footin the same behind my brothers Mobius LS the same even though it is about 2-3 mph slower on top end cause its 300lbs dry weight heavier.

I just know from experience on the ski team that the inboards a always just a bit slower out of the hole. wait just an extra sec or two to let the boat pickup some speed.

fastlx
05-14-2010, 02:05 AM
I dont remember what the model # was of the boom that I bought from flath20, but i have an 08 Moomba LS and it worked like a charm!!! Best of luck!

maxpower220
05-14-2010, 07:29 PM
With the boom behind the tower leg, hows the angle of tthe boom? Doesn't it angle to the back of the boat?

No, that is about where the contour of the boom in the boat puts it. The only difference was the length to the front of the boat as compared to my old MC.

With my boat loaded with people and gas, I doubt that I was getting much over 40mph and it took a lot longer than my old MC to get there. My form is not the best and I haven't footed consistantly in a long time, so most of the issue was with me and not the boat. But, it is easier to foot faster, especially when your form isn't great.

deerfield
05-14-2010, 10:13 PM
This is my Barefoot International boom on my '07 Outback. The boom fits nicely behind the driver seat and out the driver's side, clearing both the windshield and tower base. Driver's seat is not all the way forward. This is in my driveway. Still not on the water. Sigh.

DOCDRS
05-14-2010, 10:29 PM
at the end of the day we actually played a game ...how slow can you go......i could barefoot down to 22 mph and the best guy didn't fall till we were doing 19 mph...:)

deerfield
05-14-2010, 10:39 PM
at the end of the day we actually played a game ...how slow can you go......i could barefoot down to 22 mph and the best guy didn't fall till we were doing 19 mph...:)

Was he the best or just the lightest?

DOCDRS
05-14-2010, 11:03 PM
i'm 170, but he is a better footer and prob weighed about 160.....just something diff to have some fun

deerfield
05-14-2010, 11:41 PM
I'll have to take that game to Sled. He and I are getting together to try the new barefoot boom.

MNKid
05-14-2010, 11:47 PM
It works great! :D

I love being able to have the boom out the drivers side, easy to see and to comunicate with the skier. I will have to take some better pic's. I have it angled forward and there are not any issues with side spray, but my seat is all the way forward. I think I will try moving the boom back some, I don't think there will be any issues. This was our first time out with the boat and my first time driving a direct drive with a boom. We were only out a couple hours, but I was able to get it figured out pretty quickly. The only other direct drives I have ever pulled a skier with were a couple different MC's. I am verry impressed with the Moomba. :)

deerfield
05-15-2010, 12:05 AM
It works great! :D

I love being able to have the boom out the drivers side, easy to see and to comunicate with the skier. I will have to take some better pic's. I have it angled forward and there are not any issues with side spray, but my seat is all the way forward. I think I will try moving the boom back some, I don't think there will be any issues. This was our first time out with the boat and my first time driving a direct drive with a boom. We were only out a couple hours, but I was able to get it figured out pretty quickly. The only other direct drives I have ever pulled a skier with were a couple different MC's. I am verry impressed with the Moomba. :)

That is so cool! Man, I'm looking forward to the lake and our new boom.

DOCDRS
05-15-2010, 09:53 AM
switching from a dd to a v drive my old boom won't work so i just recieved my new tower boom......I will do a comparison on ease of use and on mounting and changing positions after i get it up and going.
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac7/docdrs/teethfoot.jpg

deerfield
05-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Doc - If you were to drop a plumb line from the end of your barefoot boom, what do you estimate to be the height off the water? - Deerfield

DOCDRS
05-15-2010, 10:21 PM
I guess in that shot it was prob about 4'6" off the water, I'm about 5'9

deerfield
05-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Wow. I thought it was like seven feet. Guess looks can be deceptive and I'm glad I asked. One thing for sure. You look like a pro in that picture!

Sled491
05-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Deerfield, looks good, did you run the cables up and set those up as well? Sure looks like it fits well behind the tower.

Finaly put my boat in today, was going to ski, but just too windy all day, and to be honest it wasn't all that warm :(

Hey Doc I hope you're a dentist, that would be some great advertising for your office. Teeth so strong you can bare foot with them :D

Reese350
05-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Deerfield: Your setup looks great. I would like to get the same for my 2007 Outback. Would you mind sending me the model #, etc. of everything you had to buy? My 8 year old is hell bent on learning to barefoot this summer so I might as well get equipped. Thanks!

deerfield
05-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Deerfield: Your setup looks great. I would like to get the same for my 2007 Outback. Would you mind sending me the model #, etc. of everything you had to buy? My 8 year old is hell bent on learning to barefoot this summer so I might as well get equipped. Thanks!

Reese - Sure. I will check Tuesday with the marina and let you know. - Deerfield

deerfield
05-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Would you mind sending me the model #, etc. of everything you had to buy?

Reese - Here you go.

Part #B202 - Deluxe Universal Contour Barefoot Boom
Part #B110 - Extension

Ordered mine through Blair at Ultimate Wake Water Sports in Volo, Illinois. In case you want to see what he can do for you, the main number to the store is 815-385-2720. Receptionist's name is Marge. He can ship to your location. His store hosted the Chicago area Skiers Choice jamboree for the past three years.

Hope this helps and your kid is soon skimmin' on his little feet with a mile wide grin! - Deerfield

Reese350
05-18-2010, 12:48 AM
Thanks Deerfield. I'll post some pics as soon as he gets the hang of it. He's very excited to get going!

jmondl
05-18-2010, 05:48 AM
Alright. Last weekend I ordered a brand spanking new Outback scheduled for delivery in mid-June. I then ordered (through The Footers Edge) a barefoot boom to go with it (which will arrive before the boat, no doubt). Mike Seipel from Barefoot International called me to make sure I ordered the right boom for the boat (and the right size barefoot suit, which I also ordered). This is going to be a cool summer.

kaneboats
05-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Congrats! Be sure to get some good camera batteries in the meantime. WE WANT PICS!!!!!!!!

phospher
05-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Alright. Last weekend I ordered a brand spanking new Outback scheduled for delivery in mid-June. I then ordered (through The Footers Edge) a barefoot boom to go with it (which will arrive before the boat, no doubt). Mike Seipel from Barefoot International called me to make sure I ordered the right boom for the boat (and the right size barefoot suit, which I also ordered). This is going to be a cool summer.

Nice! Sounds like it could shape up to be the summer of a life time. Have fun man.

Reese350
05-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Boom and barefoot suits on order. Can't wait to see the boys try it out. Thanks for the assist Deerfield.

Scott

Reese350
05-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the offer but I ordered one early last week. Seems to be a hot item, I would put it up on EBAY. I'm thinking they said the new one cost me $70 or so.

deerfield
07-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Last weekend my son's friend tried getting up on a wakeboard. No success. So, we went to the pier and set up the barefoot boom. (Boom setup takes about two minutes. It's a snap.) He got up right away. Then went back to long line. No success. So, to end the day on a positive note, he rode again from the boom. One of the best toys we bought for the boat.

kaneboats
07-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Maybe try using a surf rope from the tower (or pylon if you dont' have a tower) as an intermediate step, then the full line. This has worked for me. You can progress from surfboard to wakeboard too. Baby steps as required, right?

deerfield
07-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Maybe try using a surf rope from the tower (or pylon if you dont' have a tower) as an intermediate step, then the full line. This has worked for me. You can progress from surfboard to wakeboard too. Baby steps as required, right?

kaneboats - I appreciate the suggestion and will pick up a surf rope. Thanks! - Deerfield

Sled491
07-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Looks to be a valuable tool.

kaneboats
07-16-2010, 10:26 AM
If you don't surf you can make one out of an old ski line. Uhh, shorten it. :)

Sled491
07-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Or find an old tube rope you ran over and convert it :)

deerfield
07-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Or find an old tube rope you ran over

Has not happened and ain't gonna happen. Trust me.

Sled491
07-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Lucky you, my wife has killed 2 already :(

deerfield
07-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Lucky you, my wife has killed 2 already :(

Got goggles and a knife in your ready pack?

Sled491
07-16-2010, 08:12 PM
knife googles and a spare air :)

jmondl
07-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Our BI boom exits the passenger side (I placed it there to balance the boat, but it seems a bit odd pulling up to skiers on that side; I always pull up to skiers on the driver's side to maintain a view of them). Switching sides should be easy - just rotate the pylon clamp; I will probably try that in a week or two. The boom has been great for teaching kids to ski. No more relentless, failed efforts at pulling newbies on the long line. New skiers are up the 1st or 2nd try every time. We then graduate to a short line off the boom, and then to a long line off the tower. The boom has paid for itself in saved fuel already by avoiding those countless failed ski attempts.

The boom works great for barefooting, of course. My 13 year old stepped off a ski successfully after about 5 tries on the boom last week. His initial falls were not painful, because he just hung onto the boom and, in any event, we were not going as fast a needed when on the long line. I successfully practiced my deep water and tumble up starts on the short line attached to the boom, which helped me then succeed with them on the long line. Avoided many face plants already, which has also made the boom worth the price.

We have one regular extension, and we also have the handle extension, which extends off the end and is smaller diameter for kids. I guess adults can use that smaller handle, also, but the boom has a good bend in with that much weight so far from the boat.

The Footer's Edge ships a free DVD with orders, and shipping is free.

jmondl
07-21-2010, 01:48 PM
The boom took 15-30 minutes to install, and now takes about 2 minutes to attach when I want to use it. Those two minutes can be awkward, though, as the boom is heavy.

jikemones
07-21-2010, 02:27 PM
switching from a dd to a v drive my old boom won't work so i just recieved my new tower boom......I will do a comparison on ease of use and on mounting and changing positions after i get it up and going.
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac7/docdrs/teethfoot.jpg

Please let us know how the Tower Boom install goes. I've been considering a Tower Boom instead of the V-Drive boom. I'm hoping locating the boom forward will get us out of the chine spray. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know what opinion Skiers Choice has concerning Tower Booms?:confused:

jmondl
07-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Crossing the wake of the outback is easy. I was unable to cross the wake of my I/O, but have barefooted behind and cross the wake of the outback with ease.

Incidentally, maybe us barefooters should have our own Moomba Boats forum... Thoughts?

deerfield
08-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Another successful day with the barefoot boom. Young fellow could not get up long line on the wake board. In two minutes the boom was in place. He gets right up. Then put the short line out there and he gets up. Ran out of time (no towing after sunset.) So will go long line next time out. For the driver, gets pretty tricky with a heavy guy on the end of the boom. The boat pulls hard to starboard. So you have to compensate by over steering to port side. Then back off as boat picks up speed and skier/boarder gets on plane.

Darter
08-22-2016, 04:15 PM
This is a very old thread, but there's lots of good info in here, and thought I'd update with more info after my purchase this week.

I picked up a BI B202 (the Universal Deluxe Contour) on craigslist for our 2004 Mobius LS DD. It's designed for boats with up to 8" pylon setback from the windshield or tower. Our boat is 9", so it just barely fits. One of the cables has to be lengthened all the way out while the other has about 4" left, and even then the cables are about 2 inches too short. No problem though, as one person can just push forward on the boom while another clips the carabiner into the bow eye. If I were buying new, I'd get the B204. This one would accommodate pylon setback of greater than 8". I'm assuming the boom bend is longer and the cables are too. As it is, with the B202, I would not be able to install a boom extension as it would need longer cables. I don't plan to install an extension other than the handle extension (B111), so that's not a problem.

The boom rests right against the end of the windshield, so there's no forward movement when the skier falls.

LOVE having it! So much time and fuel is saved when beginners can get right up immediately. The lift and stability the boom provides, and the confidence it instills, makes for some very happy kids. My older sister, who hasn't skied in years due to a neck injury, was even able to get out there for a bit to enjoy some slaloming.

Here's my daughter on her first attempt at deep water start with slalom. She was beaming!

Darter
09-20-2016, 10:33 AM
To give my B202 a bit more length, I added a stainless quick link between the carabiner and cables. The bow pad slips over it so the hull is still protected. This gives the cables just enough reach to allow me to easily clip the carabiner to the bow eye with one hand without having to have someone push forward on the end of the boom.