PDA

View Full Version : Weight and shallow water.

Bcoutsfly
02-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Another Ballast question of sort.

I moved to Illinois from Texas about a year ago. I was shocked to find out that the local river/chain of lakes I live on has an average depth of 6ft! :confused:

I'm a little bummed that I'm not getting the full wake capabilities out of my boat. I've been running the stock 1200lbs and sometimes I'll throw a 500 on the floor. I notice when I add the 500 the wake flattens out alot. I started putting it on the back seat, as it becomes a little peakier then. I'm used to the smaller wake now and have no problems throwing 5's. I know some of you guys ride on shallow water.

So I'm wondering if there's another way to set up the weight throughout the boat for shallow water? I plan on adding another 500lbs this spring.

BTW, it's an 07' LSV.

sandm
02-04-2010, 03:34 PM
holy cows. 6ft would friek me out. doubt if I'd own a boat if that's the only water I had to run in. I'd spend the whole time worried about tearing something off the bottom...

phospher
02-04-2010, 04:46 PM
kinda of agree. you are not going to get your full wake potential in 6 ft of water but as you stated that is just the average. find a deep pass and ride there.

maxpower220
02-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Lake depth will definately affect your wake size/shape. However, my lake averages 7' and I have no problems with that at all when my boat and personal safety are concerned. The "local" slalom course that I ski on is in less than 5' of water, again no problem.

You should explore your lake with a depth finder and ensure that you ski/board in areas that you know the depth. 4' on your guage is the absolute minimum that I would do on a regular basis.

zabooda
02-04-2010, 05:34 PM
You'll get used to it. I ride in water that shallow and sometimes even less but I know the river bottom. I like skiing on glass so other than a few locals we have it to ourselves and of course we tell others it is too shallow to boat. Sometimes Google Earth will give you a good perspective of water depth and with a depth finder and word of mouth you will find some nice spots.

Bcoutsfly
02-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Yea it definitely freaked me out but I did get used to it. Back in Texas my home lake was at least 30ft in the most shallow areas. Before I moved here, I'd start getting real nervous around 5ft. haha.

I've bottomed my boat out up here several times up here where we all had to push it out. The bed is so soft that it doesn't affect the hull or drive system. You do, however, have to change the impeller out more often.

It's worth every bit of it though, we get unbelievable water during the week and early morning weekend sets. And it also warms up real quick since it's so shallow.

There's a few spots where it's 20 ft or so but I have to boat for 45 minutes to get to those spots, not worth the hassle.

holy cows. 6ft would friek me out. doubt if I'd own a boat if that's the only water I had to run in. I'd spend the whole time worried about tearing something off the bottom...

Wouldn't take it that far. :oops:

deerfield
02-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Hey, Bcoutsfly - Seems I may have missed you moving into the area and apologize for not saying hello. Were you at the '09 Fox River event hosted by Ultimate Wake Watersports? If you are looking for deep water, go north about an hour to Lauderdale Lakes. Along the north side the lake bed runs over one-hundred feet deep and should give you the wake you knew in Texas. While you are there, tie up at the launch ramp and walk up the hill to visit Lauderdale Lakes Marina, Supra/Moomba/Correct Craft dealer. Hope to see you out on the water this summer. - Deerfield

Wake Master
02-04-2010, 11:11 PM
You need at least 15 feet of water below the boat to have the wake fully develop.

Bcoutsfly
02-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Hey, Bcoutsfly - Seems I may have missed you moving into the area and apologize for not saying hello. Were you at the '09 Fox River event hosted by Ultimate Wake Watersports? If you are looking for deep water, go north about an hour to Lauderdale Lakes. Along the north side the lake bed runs over one-hundred feet deep and should give you the wake you knew in Texas. While you are there, tie up at the launch ramp and walk up the hill to visit Lauderdale Lakes Marina, Supra/Moomba/Correct Craft dealer. Hope to see you out on the water this summer. - Deerfield

No I didin't make that event, I'm not a fan of Ultimate Wake/Chicago Sea Ray for undisclosed reasons.

Is Lauderdale part of the chain? Is that your home lake?

And I didn't know there was another Supra/Moomba dealer local. That's great news, I thought I was up the creek with Supra/Moomba dealers.

Bcoutsfly
02-05-2010, 10:28 AM
You need at least 15 feet of water below the boat to have the wake fully develop.

Yea I understand this theory. My question was regaurding whether or not I can shift the weight front/back/middle to get the best results out of shallow water.

Like Stars for instance have to be rolling heavy in the rear. I'm not sure of the exact ratio but I know it's ridiculous.

phospher
02-05-2010, 11:38 AM
If you are looking for deep water, go north about an hour to Lauderdale Lakes.

you mean to drive there right? i don't think your getting your inboard boat from barrington to lauderdale lakes. maybe a canoe though.

sandm
02-05-2010, 02:15 PM
wow, I get nervous below 20ft. the lake I ride on most in the summer is well north of 200ft in most areas, one arm is 80-120ft deep..

the spring lake is 25-30ft and I hate going there for that reason, but it's 10deg warmer in the spring.. worth the worrying :)

zabooda
02-05-2010, 02:56 PM
The best warm water boating around here in May/June is the Potholes which are sand dunes that are flooded with about six feet of water and dry back up in July. The water temperature is in mid-80s with a hundred sand islands to beach on.

If you're in a new area it helps to scout the area out at a slow speed and track with a GPS so you can then do your sking or boarding and not worry about as long as you stay in your tracks.

deerfield
02-05-2010, 03:06 PM
No I didin't make that event, I'm not a fan of Ultimate Wake/Chicago Sea Ray for undisclosed reasons.

Is Lauderdale part of the chain? Is that your home lake?

And I didn't know there was another Supra/Moomba dealer local. That's great news, I thought I was up the creek with Supra/Moomba dealers.

Bcoutsfly - Lauderdale Lakes is not part nor anywhere in the vicinity of the chain. Its name is a bit of a misnomer. Lauderdale Lakes in fact is a single lake with a shoreline that makes it seem like three connected lakes. The thing (I think) is spring fed and mucho deep at the north end. It was my home lake for one year. The next two summers we leased a slip a half hour south at a place called Twin Lakes, just over the state line into Wisconsin and closer to our house. Right now the boat is stored in my garage. This coming summer we will be trailering to each outing. And, yes, there is a second Skiers Choice dealer in this area. In addition to Ultimate Wake, there is Lauderdale Lakes Marina. The general manager is Jesse. Shop manager is Marty. Has a toy store and nice size show room. Sorry that things did not go well with Ultimate Wake. But the good news is that Lauderdale Lakes Marina is an easy drive from your house and offers a strong alternative. - Deerfield

tprkolbas
02-05-2010, 03:46 PM
here is some good info on creating the perfect wake:

http://www.wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip029.asp

if you look at the step 3 picture, you'll see a dark blue trough behind the boat. if this trough hits the bottom of the lake, your wake will not develop properly. in essence, if you weigh your boat down more and more, the trough will go deeper and deeper hitting the bottom of the lake and causing your wake to actually worsen.

in my experience, i need at least 10-12 feet of water to get the best wake my boat (08 lsv with about 2400lbs of ballast) can kick out.

about the best you can really do in a shallow lake is to spend a day playing around and finding the optimal weight combined with wake plate adjustments, speed, and rope lengths. unfortunately it is not an exact science. other than that, find a deeper place to ride.

good luck!