View Full Version : Window Tinting

DOCDRS
02-03-2010, 09:47 PM
An excellent thread on tinting windows

http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=27396#post27396

s

Razzman
02-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Yes it looks cool and if that's the intent then you'll be 100% satisfied, but ...

Let me dispell that myth a bit, it may cut some glare but it also makes it harder to see obstacles in the water, like wearing two pairs of sunglasses. In alot of cases, depending on the tint it also creates a mirror effect behind the glass making it even harder to see. It reflects glare back into the drivers face at times as well.

I've seen this for myself and hence the reason i never did my last boat or this one. See if you can check out one done and similate the conditions as i know a few people who have done it and pulled it off withing a month. And that's an expensive experiment. :)

phospher
02-04-2010, 12:49 AM
yeah, don't know about that. i wouldn't do it.

viking
02-04-2010, 12:58 AM
I've always had my car windows tinted and probably always will. BUT I can't see doing my boat for the reasons Tazz listed. One of the main reasons to tint auto windows is to keep the heat out of an enclosed area (same reasoning in a house with lots of windows facing direct afternoon sunlight). In a boat - whats the point. It looks good but at the risk of not seeing something you need to see right away. It's illegal to tint the front window of your vehicle for a reason :)

moombadaze
02-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Let me dispell that myth a bit, it may cut some glare but it also makes it harder to see obstacles in the water, like wearing two pairs of sunglasses. In alot of cases, depending on the tint it also creates a mirror effect behind the glass making it even harder to see. It reflects glare back into the drivers face at times as well.

Tinted my 03 lsv--sold it the next weekend so i never got on the water with the windows tinted--was with the new owners on there 1st time out (very good friends), so they say "hey is it always this hard to see thru the windshield" I hop in the boat and go for a lap around the lake--could hardly see anything, the reflection was terrible, so right then and there i rip the tint off as i didnt want 1st time boaters haveing a hard time seeing and returned the boat to them with clear glass.

badasshybrid
02-04-2010, 11:33 PM
I think it looks good with the tint on there while its sitting in the parking lot. But it does make it hard to see out of esp at night.

DOCDRS
02-05-2010, 12:12 AM
interesting point Razz, we will have to see how Fman likes it this summer

newty
02-05-2010, 03:03 AM
I love mine but my dash is darker so there is little to no reflection up from the dash. However the boats I have seen with lighter dashes/boats do tend to make it a bit harder to see out.
I have had zero issues with seeing out of my boat. I'l bet most of that is because I have 35% which is pretty light.

Razzman
02-05-2010, 02:22 PM
I love mine but my dash is darker so there is little to no reflection up from the dash. However the boats I have seen with lighter dashes/boats do tend to make it a bit harder to see out.
I have had zero issues with seeing out of my boat. I'l bet most of that is because I have 35% which is pretty light.

A couple of good points Newty. A darker dash will reflect a lot less and light tint probably won't affect it as bad.