PDA

View Full Version : loose bolts

gus 08 mobius lsv
02-02-2010, 08:49 PM
not sure if this is an issue that has been discussed in the past or not but i was under my boat the today doing some cleaning and noticed that on the trailer... the long runners with the carpet they have brackets to the frame that hold them and 3 of my bolts worked loose none were missing but just about out.
might be something ya all might wanna take a look at.

Razzman
02-02-2010, 09:05 PM
That's been an issue with every trailer i've had and will continue to as long as wood is used. The constant exansion & contraction from putting the boat in and out then towing allows them to work loose. The last trailer i pulled each one, coated it with silicone and re-installed.

Personally i think a synthetic material would be better and not allow the loosening, but it's more expensive than wood so ...

phospher
02-02-2010, 11:28 PM
yeah, i think a little blue loctite is in order. i'm going to put it on my tower feet bolts, and the aluminum support bracket under the rear seat.

Suprahunter
02-03-2010, 12:25 PM
I don't think Loctite will work on wood. When you change the bunk carpet drill the holes through and replace all the bolts with stainless carriage bolts.
Countersink the heads below the top of the bunk. recover with carpet the bolts will line up and add a lock washer.

Razzman
02-03-2010, 12:30 PM
I don't think Loctite will work on wood. When you change the bunk carpet drill the holes through and replace all the bolts with stainless carriage bolts.
Countersink the heads below the top of the bunk. recover with carpet the bolts will line up and add a lock washer.

Good idea when replacing carpet but don'r dorget to re-treat the wood 2-3 times before replacing carpet or rot will start where you countersink.

The silicone trick works when not replacing carpet as it not only captures the bolt but also seals the hole. Just fill the hole and replace the lag bolt.

phospher
02-03-2010, 12:37 PM
I don't think Loctite will work on wood.

yeah, i didn't mean on the bunks, but for everything else...

sandm
02-03-2010, 01:09 PM
anyone heard of replacing the wood with 5/4 trex(or one of the many knockoffs)? perhaps screwing 2 pieces together and using as wood??

it's watertite, doesn't really expand and contract like wood will and potentially could last much longer?

first downside I see is that it's not as structurally sound as wood and might need 2 pieces "laminated" to be strong?

op-I had the same issue with screws and now check them 2x yearly for loose ones..

gus 08 mobius lsv
02-03-2010, 04:10 PM
generally how long will the carpet last if stored inside?

ok well i guess you guys are on the ball for this issue but something newbies like me need to keep an eye on

Razzman
02-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Storing inside isn't the issue, it's the constant drenching, drying out along with the boat coming on and off the bunks. My last one the carpet lasted over eight years. If you have the means to pressure wash the bunks off when the boats in the water then they'll last along time. Grit get's in the carpet and not only wears it but scratches the gelcoat too. For you guys with sandy bottom lakes it can get real bad.

gus 08 mobius lsv
02-03-2010, 07:29 PM
good to know thanks razz! i'm sure the wood on gel coat isn't too pretty looking!

aintskeered
02-04-2010, 12:47 AM
07" tandem trailer with LSV, dump it in fresh water 3-4 times per week. Lag screws come loose, I have tried both locktite and the other. seems no differance. tighten them up with either seems to both work well sometimes. next is the stapel comming loose from rusting out. best I have found is first to second week of july get under there and tighten things up with either product. bring a staple gun and over do it with stapels. Wish I could fnd stainless staples but as this far no luck....Its a maitance item.

On a diffrent note I had a bad issue with trailer brakes that were driving me crazy this year. I am 10 miles from the lake. I kept having heat issues with the breakes. I thought something draging ect. I replaced my oil bath hubs with the old grease ect. Still had trouble..... Found out my breaks were draging because they were taking on water and swelling. The brakes release because of the Knock or error in runnout in the untrue match of the hub and disk was not working because of the soft pads.... Changed pads problem solved.... Towed 5 hours no problem. Now I have two oil bath two grease hubs.they would swell after pulling out of the water and usually on the way back to the lake!!! Heads up?

phospher
02-04-2010, 10:17 AM
sounds like something boatmate should be addressing...