PDA

View Full Version : center fin on boards?

gus 08 mobius lsv
02-01-2010, 09:49 PM
ok i'm still a beginner on the board but wanna advance to try moderate tricks ...nothing too crazy though. when it comes to landing a jump or trick am i gonna want to have a center fin on my board to give me stability or is it gonna hurt me?

wake08
02-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Gus, the center fins are definitely not needed to do anything advanced. In my opinion they just create bad habits that can get you hurt if not careful. Anybody that is learning to ride i make them ride without fins so that they can properly learn to edge.

gus 08 mobius lsv
02-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Gus, the center fins are definitely not needed to do anything advanced. In my opinion they just create bad habits that can get you hurt if not careful. Anybody that is learning to ride i make them ride without fins so that they can properly learn to edge.

ok got ya. see all the beginner or beginner/intermediate boards have the center fin so i was curious about that. i just got a hyperlite forefront at the boat show for a deal i couldn't pass up and it didn't have the center fin so i just wanted to make sure i give myself a fair chance to land jumps and tricks.
where in cbus you go boating? alum creek?

brain_rinse
02-01-2010, 10:15 PM
I agree they lead to bad habits. They let you steer by pointing instead of edging, which is OK if you're just getting comfortable being behind the boat but not good practice long term.

Hillbilly
02-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Before you ditch the center fin altogether try and find a smaller fin. I agree with learning to edge correctly but I also see a lot of advanced and higher riders using center fins. It is all personal preference, I would hate for you to get rid of the fin and hate the board. And I've seen many people take nasty wrecks trying to learn without center fins. But again just my opinion....

Limishowman3
02-04-2010, 08:11 PM
hillbilly i believe i saw you ride cwb marius also! Now for some odd reason my screws weren't long enough to tighten the center fin to the board, but i think that helped me out the most! I feel as long as i edge right that board bites and when i want to, i can butter like no other! whats your take on it!

Hillbilly
02-04-2010, 08:36 PM
I ride the newer shape 08 and up, And it is really loose with out the center fin(for me). I put the smaller fin on it .75 I think? And I love it. And yeah I can slide it around really easy. But I prefer to bunny hop 180( less chance of catching and edge..lol)

Can you go to a pro shop and just ask for some bolts? They usually have many extra's and I've never been charged for them.....might be worth a try.

Limishowman3
02-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Yah i rode with the center fin forever on my old board! I dont think i could go back to it! Like ive adjusted to the looseness where it feels like i got complete control! Like I can do what i want when i want, so going back to a little more bite I might not like! I have the 07 model!

Hillbilly
02-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Yeah the newer shape is looser than the old one for sure ! It was changed for the better though.

I've heard they are changing it in 2011 to be more like the Transcend , But I hope they still keep the shape and just call it something else. I love my Marius.

Limishowman3
02-06-2010, 12:59 AM
Really! Yah if i get a new one i get a marius again, but platinum edition! Supposed to be a lb. lighter! If not marius probably goto full slingshot setup i like the D1 bindings i have!

kaneboats
02-06-2010, 02:44 AM
Limishowman, Where the heck have you been? Thought you got lost on a cattle drive down there or something. Glad you're back in the water.

Limishowman3
02-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Yah I've been taking a break with school and such! Also this winter weather has been pretty wet in Texas so not much to do except take trips to the mountains! Finally getting back on since spring break is getting close! Most likely it will be my first ride of the year!