PDA

View Full Version : How many Moomba owners have old boats? (pre-2000)

polar21
02-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many Moomba owners have boats that are pre-2000 era? How many hours are on your motor? Has anything major ever been required (new motor, stringer replacement, etc)? Again, just curious and am bored at work.

moombadaze
02-01-2010, 03:26 PM
dont have one, but like the old ones. low and sleek looking

DOCDRS
02-01-2010, 06:12 PM
you must be bored....anyways had a 99 outback 460 hours......there is no wood in moombas therefore no stringer repairs.......had to change my bilge blower, my mdc(the speedo lines needed to be disconnected),one ballast pump (as the hard tanks have to be winterized.) the guy i sold it to( in sept 09) changed the thermostat(he said it was really rusted)....that was it

BensonWdby
02-01-2010, 07:01 PM
I have a 99 Mobius (basically an Outback) with carb - about 330 hrs. No serious problems. Bilge pump, vent blower, fuel pump, impellers, shaft packing, exhaust port covers, and at least one MDC gauge controller, may be looking at another one this year.

Additionally the windshield spread at the walkthrough. Appears to be hull flexing. I had it reparied (remounted windshiled) with 40 hours on it. In less than 20 hours the spread was back - but has not gotten any worse.

For some reason I can not seem to get the shaft packing to seal, so I am think it might need shaft alignment (after hitting something in water that whacked the prop).

In general - I have never felt like it was a bad choice.

DOCDRS
02-01-2010, 07:51 PM
benson....the shaft alignment on your boat is super easy, two wrenches and a feeler gauge

zabooda
02-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I've had a 98 Mobius since 2002 and hardly a problem. The metal flake makes the boat unique and it came with everything you see except the tubes for $17K. I had a mechanic replace the electronic ignition when I first bought it and I replaced the heater core, repacked the shaft, replaced the tower speakers at least five years ago and replaced the tires and jack last year. I have a 1000 watt subwoofer amp ordered to replace my wimpy one that will go in the Jeep. Knock on wood as I run it hard for the 50 hours I put on it in a year. I think I have about 600 hours on the boat. Oh, I have also changed some skins due to rips and stains but no major work there, ski mirror and impellers too. In the scheme of things most of the replacements were either upgrades or minor systems.

phospher
02-02-2010, 01:33 AM
For some reason I can not seem to get the shaft packing to seal, so I am think it might need shaft alignment (after hitting something in water that whacked the prop).

Does your Mobius have a dripless packing gland? If not, then it should not seal. You want a very slow drip for cooling purposes. If your drip rate is steady and you've already tried tightening then you need to replace the packing. When you replace be sure to buy the gortex packing.

phospher
02-02-2010, 01:34 AM
zabooda, i can't believe you beach your boat like that.......i'm way to paranoid to let my boat scrap up against anything but water.

BensonWdby
02-02-2010, 01:39 AM
No dripless seal. I just used the rope the Moomba dealer gave me. Leak is way more than drips, it's a flow. I can tighten to almost nothing, but in a few hours it's back. Could be an inefficiency in the way I reverse tighten the jam nut - don't really hae the right tools for those large nuts.

and mine is the same blue metallic flake - really shimmers in the sunlight.

And beaching it would not be kosher with our boat... I used to beach the old runabout and it left quit a bit of hull scratching over time.

zabooda
02-02-2010, 02:18 AM
Actually, most of the time I anchor off so I can get the sounds to the beach but I must have just stopped to check out the beach (or take a picture). This lake drops off enough that you can nose in and there are no boats around to make waves. I don't do that often.

I still have the same decals but they have been fading away the last few years and I may go for a wrap on the back half someday. It depends how the hull looks nekked.

I got the same windshield problem but I put an additional screw in the top frame near the tower on the port side. I replaced the stuffing six years ago and used a graphite inpregnated cord and haven't had to adjust it but once. The cord can be cinched down tighter since there isn't anything that would degrade from some heat like the wax does.

phospher
02-02-2010, 07:33 PM
No dripless seal. I just used the rope the Moomba dealer gave me. Leak is way more than drips, it's a flow.

yeah, something isn't right. you are suppose to cut the packing rope in at least two (three is even better) sections just long enough so that it wraps once around the shaft and the ends butt up against each other. than with the other pieces make sure that you are off setting the joints. kind of hard to explain...

you can't just have one piece in there and the staggering of the rope is very important. know what I mean?

this is the good packing i was talking about http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GFO1/4X24

though i'm not sure of the size of the moomba drive shaft so i'm not sure if you would need the 1/4 inch or 3/16.

one more thing, be sure that you got all your old wax flax packing out of there... it can be a pain and i've used a dental pick in the past.

BensonWdby
02-03-2010, 12:14 AM
I did the three pieces with offset seams. Just not having a lot of luck. On the fence about how much tightening is too much....

phospher
02-03-2010, 12:23 AM
i've done this a few times and it was always pretty simple. i was also able to hand tighten it enough to almost stop the drip rate. then run it a little and retighten. you sure you have the right size packing? i don't know what else could be the problem it should be pretty straight forward.

you are tightening it on the water right? much easier to adjust that way.