PDA

View Full Version : Looking into a new ride!

2007 Outback V
02-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Looking for some opinions........right now I ride a 140 Blindside board (not sure on model, it has shaped nose/tail and center fins) with Blindside Stomp bindings. I have a few issues with the board, it seems heavy to me, and it doesn't bit and cut into turns the way I would like it to. This is the only wakeboard I have every been on.

I am a pretty avid snowboarder, I ride a 159 Burton Baron ES with Burton C60 bindings and Burton Ion boots. Awesome set up, board is super light, snappy, and can carve look no other. Great board for someone with size 13 foot. I'm pretty good on the board, FS/HS 540s with no problems, 720s at times. Can cork out FS 540s with nose grab. Starting to do swith 360s. While I know snowboarding is different than wakeboarding, to some extent my skills have transferred over.

My knowlege of wakeboards/bindings is next to nothing. I was looking into getting a 138 CWB Transcend with Answer bindings??? I think I might like the boards double fin setup. I also think the bindings would be a huge upgrade. Thoughts???????

Thanks,

Chad

brain_rinse
02-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Unfortunately the only real answer is to get out and demo some boards, but we might be able to help narrow down all the options. Have you decided if you want a continuous rocker or 3-stage? Do you want a hard edging carver or a more mellow surf-like feel?

If you are looking to replicate the snowboard feel on the water check out the Hyperlite Roam. You can find last year's model for around $100 off season, but this is usually not someones primary board.

Bindings are a little easier. What are you looking for? Supportive or flexy, easy to get into, fit varying sizes of feet or just yours, $$$, etc.

2007 Outback V
02-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Unfortunately the only real answer is to get out and demo some boards, but we might be able to help narrow down all the options. Have you decided if you want a continuous rocker or 3-stage? Do you want a hard edging carver or a more mellow surf-like feel?

If you are looking to replicate the snowboard feel on the water check out the Hyperlite Roam. You can find last year's model for around $100 off season, but this is usually not someones primary board.

Bindings are a little easier. What are you looking for? Supportive or flexy, easy to get into, fit varying sizes of feet or just yours, $$$, etc.

I generally find myself in a snowboard that is a all around board with a strong freestyle attitude. The same would go for a wakeboard. I'm still not real clear on the continuous vs 3-stage rocker? I bet I would prefer a board that falls right in between the two. I want a board that bits into the water when I turn, but not so drastic when I don't land perfectly I end up face planting the water.

I prefer flexy bindings, but not so flexy that they are sloppy. They need to have some support so the board responds to my movements. Easy to get into is not as important as quality/performance. The board will be just for me.

I know that the best thing to do is to get out and demo some boards, but I would really like to pick something up during the off season to save some cash.

Thanks,

Chad

Also, I'll check out the Roam Hyperlite.

2007 Outback V
02-01-2010, 02:28 PM
I checked out the Roam. Not what I am looking for. I tried my current board without fins once, lets just say it wasn't pretty. Appreciate your help.

brain_rinse
02-01-2010, 02:54 PM
OK, so first thing would be to read up on continuous vs. 3 stage and see which you think you'd prefer. http://www.evogear.com/how-to-choose-a-wakeboard-and-wakeboard-size-chart.aspx
To over-simplify: Continous is faster, smoother, edgier, and more predictable. The 3 stage sacrifices some in all of those aspects for more straight up pop.

I like boards with removable fins. For example, I replaced my board's 1" fins with .8"s so it was looser when flat. Center fins (if it has any) should be removed for anyone other than beginners.

I'd be willing to bet that as a snowboarder you'd really like a flex board (see Slingshot or Company products to start.) The risk without demoing though is that you may not...

If you stay with a conventional board, CWB, Hyperlite, Ronix, Obrien, Liquid Force, (and others) all have great boards in their lineup.

2007 Outback V
02-01-2010, 05:34 PM
OK, so I would like a continuous rocker to something like a subtle 3-stage. I love pop but too much is over kill and hard to control. A fast, smooth predictable board that bits when you turn are the exact traits I am looking for.

What is a flex board????

Hillbilly
02-01-2010, 05:41 PM
The new CWB Vibe has a bit of flex to it. It is flat on bottom like a roam, But it has 4 long fins you can adjust front to back to make it track tighter/looser. I'm playing around on it right now trying to see if I like it better than my Marius.

I ride 08 Answer's and I love them. They have good support but not restricting so you can poke out grabs.

The Vibe is pretty light also....Which I like, But I love my Marius so it may be a hard choice in the next month or so.

brain_rinse
02-01-2010, 06:14 PM
If you are bargain shopping, here is a steal!
http://boardersmall.com/xcart/product.php?productid=19501&cat=0&page=1&featured

kaneboats
02-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Wow! I wasn't even looking and I'm thinking that one over.

yearround
02-01-2010, 08:25 PM
if they still had that in 144 i would have been asking forgiveness from my wife.

for trying board, i would not be afraid to ask other boats on the water to try a ride. sometime the dealers hit a lots of money to buy, they usually credit you the demo toward your purchase, but you may not want to purchase from them.

i recommend just trying lots of boards, boots, shapes sizes. i have even been on a 124, just to see how it rode. (really sucked for the weight i was at)

2007 Outback V
02-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Yes, I saw the Fraction. Awesome deal!!! I think I was wrong on the size of board I need??? I am 6'1'' and weigh 190-200 lbs., weight seems to stay around there. I would be best in at least a 140, right???

brain_rinse
02-01-2010, 09:55 PM
I would say 142 for someone your size, but I like boards a little big. In fact after I found that Faction I saw a Ronix One 146 for $127 that I bought to replace my 142. :)

Hillbilly
02-01-2010, 10:45 PM
The Faction before this year was pretty heavy. It might feel like a tank to you ?
If you can find a Marius 140 I really like that board and I'm 6'2 215-220. The Marius is a pretty wide board all the way from tip to tail though. So it takes some getting used to. I use the smaller center fin and love it.

I'm partial to CWB since I've befriended the rep, But I also rode the Byerly Monarch and that was a pretty nice and light loose board.

A ton of people rave about the Transcend but I wasn't too impressed with it.

I hear a lot of good things about the LF Lyman also.

2007 Outback V
02-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Picked up 08 CWB Answer bindings last night on boardersmall.com. $111 shipped, pretty good deal if anyone else is looking.

I am strongly considering a 142 Slingshot Response. What's the good, the bad and the ugly on this board?

Thanks

brain_rinse
02-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Picked up 08 CWB Answer bindings last night on boardersmall.com. $111 shipped, pretty good deal if anyone else is looking.

I am strongly considering a 142 Slingshot Response. What's the good, the bad and the ugly on this board?

Thanks
I don't think there is anything bad to say about that board. It's a flex board and they aren't for everyone, but those that ride them think they are the "sickest board ever" (it's even printed on the boards this year.) Usually flex boards have a steeper learning curve, so don't plan to jump on it and shred your first set. It will teach you to edge and load the line right.

2007 Outback V
02-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Ok, I am reconsidering board size again. The more I think about it, I might perfer a smaller board.

I like smaller snowboards, it is recomended that someone my size ride a 162 or bigger. I ride a 158-159. I think a 138 wakeboard might be perfect. I think my blindside is a 140, I wish I could remember, too bad it is like 2.5 hrs away.

Anyway, here is my main concern: will a 138 be too small that someone who is 190-200 lbs will have troubles staying on top of the water. I wouldn't think so since a 140 is not even an inch longer?

Another factor, both the CWB transcend and fraction are really good deals on boardersmall.com right now. Of course both are only available in a 138. Yet, I don't want to take the cheap way and end up with a board that doesn't work for me.

Also, on the transcend vs fraction topic. I know the transcend has a subtle 3 stage rocker while the fraction has a continuous rocker. The fraction is a bit wider and not quite as of advanced of a board as the transcend. I think that the transcend has available fin extentions to tighten up the ride. Does anyone know anything else about these two boards?

Decisions, decisions??????

brain_rinse
02-04-2010, 11:57 AM
I like a smaller snowboard too... should ride a 162 or larger but ride a 159. But I like bigger wakeboards though, like I said, just traded the 142 for a 146. In my opinion you are both too tall and too heavy for a 138. You could make it work, but if you're buying new I'd buy it right the first time.

2007 Outback V
02-04-2010, 12:36 PM
I like a smaller snowboard too... should ride a 162 or larger but ride a 159. But I like bigger wakeboards though, like I said, just traded the 142 for a 146. In my opinion you are both too tall and too heavy for a 138. You could make it work, but if you're buying new I'd buy it right the first time.

That said, 142 slingshot it is. Now if I could just get boardersmall to knock that price below $200 so I can buy it without the wife kicking me to the curb........hmmm

brain_rinse
02-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Check out evogear's outlet. I didn't see any Slingshots, but they had tons of very nice 09 boards for under <$200 when you take the additional 26% off.

Limishowman3
02-04-2010, 08:00 PM
my friend is 6 2 200lbs and rides a 140. You can get a 138 if the board is a little wider than normal 138's! If your looking at slingshot boards, i would have gone a complete slingshot setup. The new setup of how it holds on the boards makes it a whole lot more responsive compared to the faceplate setup for general boards! You might want to check out the pros who ride those boards and see if their styles match to yours!