PDA

View Full Version : AirSling

Ian Brantford
01-31-2010, 12:33 AM
Has anyone tried one of these? http://www.airsling.com .

I have been aware of them since the first prototypes, and the first year they were several thousand, IIRC. I was just cleaning up some old bookmarks and revisited the site. Now, they are much less.

Comments?

kaneboats
02-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Never even heard of it before. Interesting.

moombadaze
02-01-2010, 02:00 PM
not real clear on what it is or does, but -the power lifting tower, now that is something i like.

viking
02-01-2010, 05:32 PM
I like the power tower as well. Cool idea! Now that's convenient!!

Razzman
02-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Looks like just another scheme to take your money imo, can't imagine why you'd need this stuff. :cool:

yearround
02-01-2010, 08:37 PM
i think some foil riders have one on their boat. i think i used it when ifoiled with them i dont foil much, so i don't know what it did, other than look cool and give couple more feet to the top of the rope. they have done flyby on us and practically flipped over our bow.

hmm, maybe im not too helpful?

viking
02-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Looks like just another scheme to take your money imo, can't imagine why you'd need this stuff. :cool:

I'll tell you that if you had to Lower/Raise your tower EVERY time you use your boat it would come in handy. I'm speaking from personal experience with this too!
Most of the time I'm raising and lowering by myself also because my wife is herding the kids around and is a real PITA. I know the new Malibu towers are awesome and have a spring action making them VERY easy for 1 person to collapse and raise and would love one of those.
But to be able to power it up and down - now that's cool! Take my money :)

Ian Brantford
02-01-2010, 09:16 PM
The power tower thing is a new addition to the offerings. The main item is the airsling itself, which creates a limited amount of play in the tow rope without introducing a hard-to-control elastic effect. It's basically the role of a shock absorber, rather than a spring.

When the rider starts his cut toward the wake and builds up tension, he also compresses the airsling. After the rider pops off the wake, the airsling pulls forward, giving the rider a bit of a boost. When the rider lands, the airsling recompresses, and the bit of travel that this introduces cuts down on the tension that must be endured during that impact. Apparently it's supposed to give an advantage against the injuries that happen in that moment.

I've spent so much time being just on the verge of completing a full wake-to-wake jump that I would have really appreciated this "training wheel" benefit. With this device, I possibly could have gotten all the way across and trained on my landings earlier, while still being able to bypass the airsling and focussed on my jump with less fear of handling the landing.

Razzman
02-01-2010, 10:36 PM
I'll tell you that if you had to Lower/Raise your tower EVERY time you use your boat it would come in handy. I'm speaking from personal experience with this too!
Most of the time I'm raising and lowering by myself also because my wife is herding the kids around and is a real PITA. I know the new Malibu towers are awesome and have a spring action making them VERY easy for 1 person to collapse and raise and would love one of those.
But to be able to power it up and down - now that's cool! Take my money :)

I do have to raise and lower my tower EVERY time i take it out as it sits in a 8' tall enclosure. Wife and i do it together so it's no big deal. I guess if you had to do it by yourself and had a ton of crap hanging from the tower then it would be a pain. When i had nothing up there is wan't anything at all compared to now.

viking
02-02-2010, 12:34 AM
You also have to wonder how long it takes to where out the pistons on that tower as well. There's alot of weight (like you pointed out Razz) when you get it loaded with speakers and such. Up and down, up and down, up and down. I think I'll wait till they are out longer and get some review..................as if I was going to purchase now anyway :confused:

As far as the AirSling. I suppose it might help here and there. But there are soooo many things out in the marketplace to get a small advantage. I think you gotta draw the line somewhere. I'd rather spend the money on tunes so I can wipeout to a classic :)