PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on pylons?

bama3300
05-25-2004, 02:57 PM
we just got our 2004 outback, i thought we were getting one with a tower, but unfortunately we didnt. i have been noticing the pylons available, thinking of going with the lightning rod or sky-lon, both of which can be fitted with board holders, but is there really any difference in performance with the pylon that sits 7 1/2 feet above the boat and a tower that sits at the same distance? will i be able to tell the difference in the water? and what kind of rope length and speed do we need to run for the best wake without a ballast system? man, i should have put cliff notes or something on this. thanks for the help guys

brentburtrum
05-25-2004, 03:41 PM
I havn't met very many people that bought a pylon, and soon after didn't want to upgrade to a tower. You can get a monster tower delivered for $1000 that is a pretty good deal.

It is easiest to drive the boat and watch the wake to say where it is gonna be best.

Usually beginner boarders start at about 18mph with a 50 foot rope.

TheBeeZ
05-25-2004, 04:23 PM
With the pylon when the boarder really pulls you get side to side movement of the boat which can cause a problems for the rider. The tower helps to control this. People I know usually do not upgrade to a tower after buying a pylon but they always complain that they wish they had bought the tower.

Start off with 50 to 60 feet of rope at around 18 mph. If you start adding weight to the boat you can lengthen to 65.

Have fun!

Yellowmobius
05-25-2004, 05:36 PM
Pylons are also more dangerous, with a bigger rider you can get a slingshot effect with a pylon causing the rope handle to end up back in the boat. I am sure it dosen't happen a lot but it can.

Jrod06
05-25-2004, 07:14 PM
speaking of dangerous, our neighbors put a pilon on there boat and were pulling with it and it snapped in half and went clean through the passengers leg in the back. I know the chances of that happening are slim but if it was me, i would get a tower even if it costs a little more money.

Catdog1
05-25-2004, 11:25 PM
Got a skylon as part of the deal when I bought the 99 outback.

Works fine. Alloy aluminum is has extremely thick walls, this one is highly unlikely to break. Cable/bridal is used around the bow. This impedes bow access somewhat, but not entirely.

Tower has got to be a more convenient set-up, but the skylon is adequate.

Most of us can perform a lot of tricks without the skylon, but it does help.

For trend/cool/image and for highest performance, also resale value, tower seems like a great way to go.

Don't wait for the tower, though, to enjoy wakeboarding.

bama3300
05-26-2004, 11:31 AM
thanks guys for all of your help. i would love to be able to go out and get a tower, but my dad isnt totally up for it, and i dont have the funds right now on my college/summer budget. hoping to pick one up off of ebay or something for a few hundred, maybe can swing a tower for christmas or something. anyway thanks again. matt

05-26-2004, 08:38 PM
I have a 2 piece Skylon with a carrying bag for sale if you are interested email me at [email protected] $250.00 including shipping. Thanks, Buck