PDA

View Full Version : Transfer of Warranty on 08 Outback

phospher
01-29-2010, 04:34 PM
I recently bought an 08 Moomba outback and I want to transfer the warranty in to my name. The boat is in great shape with only 88.6 hrs on it. I read something in the manual that said I need to pay a fee. Does anyone know more info about this? I've called my local dealer (where the boat was actually intially purchased) a fewl times but they haven't gotten back to me yet(Lauderdale Lakes Marina in Elkhorn Wi). In their defense I can understand they may be busy after the boat show.. But the manual says I only have 10 days!!

I'm curious as to the procedure because the boat is winterized right now and the lakes around here are obviously frozen but It's my understanding that the boat/engine/tranny need to be inspected. I'm not going to pay 200 + bucks for the transfer and then additional fees to winterize an already professionaly winterized boat. I have photo copies of all the maintanence records from the dealer including last falls winterization, do you think that will be sufficient?

And why the heck do you have to pay for a warranty transfer? I would think it would just be a nominal paper work fee or only a dealer fee.

Suggestions/ideas?

Thanks,

DOCDRS
01-29-2010, 06:21 PM
call sc Telephone
1-800-320-2779
865-983-9924

did you buy it private or from a sc dealer?

phospher
01-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Awesome. Thanks.

I bought it from a private seller. I know, if it was bought from a dealer they should be responsible for warranty transfer.

maxpower220
01-29-2010, 09:53 PM
http://moomba.com/downloads/owner_manuals/moomba_08.pdf

As I read the Owner's Manual for my 08 Outback and the link above, I don't see a fee or that you can transfer the warranty.
You should find out if the person purchased the 3 yr whole boat warranty or just kept the factory 1 yr. Also, the 4 yr engine warranty is from Indmar, not SC.

From my past experience, I bought a 1yr old MC from a private seller. It did cost $200 to transfer the warranty. However, based on the fact that the boat had never had a problem (you'll have to trust the seller and any records they have), I did not see a reason to transfer a hull warranty. If there have been no problems in the hull to this point, why would there be in the future. It is your money and peace of mind, but I doubt that I would bother spending the money: oh yeah, I didn't. I never had a problem with that boat.

phospher
01-30-2010, 11:52 AM
I must have read it in the indmar manual(i'll go dig it up again). What I'm trying get is the indmar 4 year engine/drive train warranty transffered and the L4 hull warranty. I know the engine/train are covered for four years per what I read.

I'm not really too concerned that something will break but I think it's worth it to have the warranty considering it should be good until 2012 and L4 on the hull . While I'm sure they are far and few betweeen some engines/hulls surely suffer from defects from time to time and if this happens to mine I want to be sure I'm covered.

maxpower220
01-30-2010, 01:33 PM
No, I agree with you, the engine warranty is worth the money. Especially with EFI, any problems (which I doubt you will have) can get expensive fast on the engine. The hull is unlikely to every have a problem if it has not had one yet.

Sled491
01-30-2010, 11:48 PM
I bought my boat from Lauderdale lakes, great guys they'll look after you. Yes they have been very busy with the boat shows as they did the Chicago and Milwaukee show and have a couple locations. They'll make it happen or take Docs advice and call SC customer service direct.

phospher
02-01-2010, 05:19 PM
left a vm for someone at Skiers Choice Friday evening. Still waiting... going to give them a call again right now.

phospher
02-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Just got in touch with someone at skiers choice. Turns out that the hull warranty (L4) is not transferable so that really sucks. For some reason I was thinking that it would be... In any case, I need to get the engine inspected by an approved indmar shop so I'm back to waiting for Lauderdale Lakes...

I also reached out to the previous dealership where this boat has been serviced (Midwest Mastercraft) in hopes that they can sign off on the warranty transfer considering that the engine has not been touched since they last winterized it and I have all maintainence records. We'll see..

Sled491
02-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Funny, I have the 3 yr warrenty and I could have sworn on my 07 that it was transferable. No worries though I'll have this boat long after my warrenty expires :)

snowboardcorey
02-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Phospher,

I had our (MWMC) Service Manager send you an email. If we can help out we will. I am out of the office for a while otherwise I could check into it myself. As an authorized Indmar Service Center I would think we can do this for you, I am not sure if SC wants an Authorized Dealer to do the check or not.

FWIW I don't think most companies extend a hull warranty beyond the original owner. Typically the engine and drivetrain are transferable, sometimes for a small fee.

phospher
02-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks Corey. I did hear back from one of your guys and I appreciate your help with this. Unfortunately, no one from Lauderdale lakes ever called me back even after 3 phone calls. So I think I'm going to take my chances on this one..

snowboardcorey
02-04-2010, 01:08 PM
I'll be honest, we actually talked the previous owner out of some service work. He requested a full tune up at 50 hours but the boat was operating perfectly and we felt that a full tune was not required. He wanted to boat to operate flawlessly and we made sure it did.

I'm not to familiar with the dealers in your area so I can't recommend anyone else. Maybe your dealer runs a bare bones staff in the winter, I know a couple of the local guys virtually shut down until spring.

Sled491
02-04-2010, 09:31 PM
To be honest I find it hard to believe that Lauderdale Lakes is ignoring you. Both Deerfield and I bought our boats from them and they have been just spot on. I'm going to call Jesse and see what the heck is going on, these guys are the largest inboard dealers in the area and have placed top 5 in the country with SC customer feedback polls, they are professiionals.